freewriting
Hey, I think I'm liking the freewriting thing. This time I actually wrote about work related stuff, although in the same mental dump format, don't think, just purge. And what came out of it is a bunch of questions on yang1991ffs. Questions are good in that they are a whole lot more precise than my general HUH? Questions are a recipe; they say, if you can answer me, maybe you'll understand how it all fits. Another reason I'm happy with it is that I actually found the way to explain what had confused me about SFG all this time. (This might sound similar to yesterday).The confusion behind SFG is that there are two kinds of parallelism: parallel networks, and parallel traversals. What's nice about this is that it also accounts for my many other confusions. You can make a table showing
| parallel networks | parallel traversals |
|---|---|
| hierarchy of choice points | hierarchy of regions |
| conjuction/disjunction | conflation |
The other thing that helps me is to try and translate things into some language I know better:
type NodeName = String
data Region
{ tagTree :: Tree N
, mappingTable :: Map Ikkiwubble NodeName
, functionalRoot :: NodeName
, conflationSet :: [[Ikkiwubble]] -- ^ self explanatory
, expansionTable :: Map Ikkiwubble Region
, unrealisedFeatures :: [(String,String)] -- ^ not sure about this
, subRegions :: [Region]
}
(Oh yeah, ikkiwubble instead of ixiwubble; it's just easier to say)
I guess my main issue now is figuring out exactly what happens when you hit a preselect operator. How do you know what part of the input specification the ikkiwubble (function), say agent corresponds to? One guess is that if you look at the input specification as a recursive feature structure, then an ikkiwubble simply corresponds to one of the features (really simple).
I was also initially confused about the idea that there is an hierarchy of regions, but then I found an analogy which made it all make sense. You know how you're writing a program, and you call fork() to spawn a new process? The new process is the child of the parent process, right? There ya go, instant hierarchy. Yes, you can have an hierarchy of parallel traversals. Reconciling the idea of parallel with hierarchical isn't hard after all.
Oh well... I still don't get it yet. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be going too deeply into this. It's just annoying because now you actually have enough meat to work with; there is enough material for you to actually understand what's going on. Hmm... actually, maybe I should just wait for his PhD thesis to arrive. Maybe that will lay it out all nice and slow.

No comments:
Post a Comment