I hate applying for things, writing the little letters or descriptions of me, etc... brings me back to when I was applying for undergrad. If I can get that over with, then I can focus on the chapter.
Have a minus-oneth draft of the "what are your research activities" block-o-text. Basically, it's an outline. There's lots of words in there, sort of descriptions, things I want to try out, a rough feel for what I'm going to be able to say and what not. Keep it short.
overgen
Had a small idea whilst building the minus-oneth draft: thing is that when you've got lots of sentences, it gets kinda tiring to figure out which ones are overgeneration and which are not (it doesn't always jump out at you like that, sometimes you can't tell whether you like the sentence or not, and multiply by 1000... ugh). So hey, maybe this is where the prob/stat guys come to the rescue. Can't we flag the least probable sentences as being likely candidates for scrutiny?still freewriting
Still doing the freewriting-before-you-read-your-mail thing, not sure if it's useful yet, but I still believe that there is hope that this will one day transform me into an eric that's used to writing things on a regular basis. The current problem is that the freewriting is essentially crapwriting, whatever streams and flows out. But it is semi-handy to throw things out on screen, see what they look like when you attach real words to them. You know you'll have to kill 95% of it, but hey, if you get 5% of structure or 5% of clearer understanding of things out of it, why not? Only costs a little over a half hour for a kiloword anyway. Write to think, as wyd15-d says; write to think.Problem with freewriting is that it starts to infect all your writing. Get used to writing in a certain way, drop a few pronouns here and there, censor yourself a little less, just churn churn churn.

No comments:
Post a Comment